Cefditoren Pivoxil (SEF-di-TOR-en)Brand Name:
Cefditoren Pivoxil is used for:
Treating bacterial infections.
Cefditoren Pivoxil is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Cefditoren Pivoxil if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cefditoren Pivoxil or to another cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin)
- you have low levels of carnitine in your body or have a metabolic problem that may cause low levels of carnine in your body
- you are allergic to milk protein (not lactose intolerant)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cefditoren Pivoxil :
Some medical conditions may interact with Cefditoren Pivoxil . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a penicillin (eg, amoxicillin) or beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
- if you have stomach of bowel problems (eg, inflammation), blood clotting problems, kidney or liver problems, decreased muscle mass, or poor nutrition
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cefditoren Pivoxil . However, no specific interactions with Cefditoren Pivoxil are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Cefditoren Pivoxil may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cefditoren Pivoxil :
Use Cefditoren Pivoxil as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Cefditoren Pivoxil by mouth with food.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Cefditoren Pivoxil for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
- Do not take antacids or H2 antagonists (eg, famotidine) within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking Cefditoren Pivoxil .
- If you miss a dose of Cefditoren Pivoxil , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cefditoren Pivoxil .
Important safety information:
- Cefditoren Pivoxil only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Cefditoren Pivoxil for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Cefditoren Pivoxil may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Cefditoren Pivoxil may reduce the ability of your blood to clot. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Diabetes patients - Cefditoren Pivoxil may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Diabetes patients - Cefditoren Pivoxil may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Cefditoren Pivoxil may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Cefditoren Pivoxil .
- Lab tests, including liver, kidney, or lung function, may be performed while you use Cefditoren Pivoxil . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Cefditoren Pivoxil with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Cefditoren Pivoxil should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Cefditoren Pivoxil while pregnant. It is not known if Cefditoren Pivoxil is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Cefditoren Pivoxil , check with your doctor or pharmacist. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Cefditoren Pivoxil :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Headache; mild diarrhea; nausea; stomach pain or upset; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; decreased urination; easy bruising or bleeding; fever; hoarseness; red, swollen, or blistered skin; seizures; severe diarrhea; severe nausea or vomiting; severe stomach pain/cramping; unusual tiredness; vaginal discharge or itching; white spots in the mouth; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; nausea; seizures; stomach pain; vomiting.Proper storage of Cefditoren Pivoxil :
Store Cefditoren Pivoxil at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cefditoren Pivoxil out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cefditoren Pivoxil , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cefditoren Pivoxil is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cefditoren Pivoxil . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.