Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone (KLOR-oh-ZYE-le-nol/BEN-zoe-kane/HYE-droe-KOR-ti-sone)Brand Name:
Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops are used for:
Treating certain infections of the outer ear canal that occur with inflammation. It is also used to control itching of the ear canal.
Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops are an antibacterial and antifungal, steroid, and anesthetic combination. It works by killing bacteria, reducing inflammation, and temporarily relieving itching and pain.
Do NOT use Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops
- you have chickenpox or vaccinia viral infection
- your eardrum is perforated
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to other local anesthetics (eg, tetracaine)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops. Because little, if any, of Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops are absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops:
Use Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops are only for the ear. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Thoroughly clean and dry the outer ear before using Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops.
- Wash your hands before and after using Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops.
- Shake well before each use.
- Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for 5 minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from getting into your medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- To clear up your infection completely, keep using Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if your condition improves in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria or fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Do not use Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops for other ear infections or conditions without checking with your doctor.
- Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, cracking, irritation, or peeling not present before you began using Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include acne-like rash; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; thinning, softening, discoloration, or stretch-like appearance of the skin around the application site; unusual weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops:
Store Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Chloroxylenol/Benzocaine/Hydrocortisone Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.