Generic Name: Methylcellulose
Citrucel Powder is used for:
Treating constipation and restoring regularity. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Citrucel Powder is a bulk-forming laxative. It works by absorbing water and swelling in the intestines. This helps the stool form the bulk necessary to be easily passed.
Do NOT use Citrucel Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Citrucel Powder
- you have appendicitis, difficulty swallowing, intestinal blockage, severe constipation, or rectal bleeding of unknown cause
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Citrucel Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Citrucel Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or a history of intestinal blockage
- if you have a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for 2 weeks
- if you have phenylketonuria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Citrucel Powder. However, no specific interactions with Citrucel Powder are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Citrucel Powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Citrucel Powder:
Use Citrucel Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Citrucel Powder may be taken with or without food.
- Mix the dose recommended by the package labeling or your doctor with a full glass (at least 8 ounces/240 mL) of water. Stir briskly for 15 seconds and drink immediately. Drinking another glass of water is helpful. Taking this product without enough liquid may cause choking.
- Take Citrucel Powder 2 or more hours before or after other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Citrucel Powder, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Citrucel Powder.
Important safety information:
- Taking Citrucel Powder without enough fluid may cause it to swell and block your throat or esophagus and may cause choking. Do not take Citrucel Powder if you have difficulty swallowing. If you experience chest pain, vomiting, or difficulty swallowing or breathing, seek medical attention immediately.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use Citrucel Powder for longer than 1 week unless directed by your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 1 week or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not take additional laxatives or stool softeners with Citrucel Powder unless directed by your doctor.
- Citrucel Powder usually takes 12 hours to 3 days to produce a bowel movement.
- Stop use and contact your doctor if you have rectal bleeding or no bowel movement after use. These could be signs of a serious condition.
- If you develop stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting, contact your doctor. Do not use any more of Citrucel Powder until you have checked with your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for 2 weeks or more, check with your doctor.
- Phenylketonuria patients - Citrucel Powder contains phenylalanine.
- Citrucel Powder is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age without first checking with your doctor. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Citrucel Powder, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Citrucel Powder during pregnancy. It is unknown if Citrucel Powder is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Citrucel Powder, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Citrucel Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; difficulty swallowing; nausea; rectal bleeding; stomach pain; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Citrucel Powder:
Store Citrucel Powder at room temperature, below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Citrucel Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Citrucel Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Citrucel Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Citrucel Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Citrucel Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)