- Do not have food, milk, indigestion remedies, iron or mineral supplements during the hour before you take sodium clodronate and for 1 hour afterwards.
- Drink several large glassfuls of water each day.
- Good dental hygiene is particularly important with this treatment - this means that you must brush your teeth regularly and have regular dental check-ups.
About sodium clodronate
|Type of medicine ||Bisphosphonate |
|Used for ||Hypercalcaemia (too much calcium in the blood) |
Some types of bone pain
|Also called ||Bonefos® |
|Available as ||Tablets and capsules |
In cancer there can be an excessive breakdown of bone. As this happens, calcium is lost from the bone and seeps into the blood leading to higher than normal levels of calcium in the blood. Sodium clodronate works by binding to bone and reducing the rate at which it is broken down. This helps prevent the loss of calcium from bones and reduces the high levels of calcium in the blood.
Before taking sodium clodronate
Before taking sodium clodronate make sure your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breast-feeding.
- If you suffer from kidney problems.
- If you have recently had any inflammation of your digestive system such as an upset stomach or bowel.
- If you are due to have any dental treatment (as your doctor may advise that your dental treatment is completed before starting this medicine).
- If you are taking other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal and complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or any other medicine.
How to take sodium clodronate
- Before starting this treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside the pack.
- Take sodium clodronate exactly as your doctor has told you. It is usually taken once or twice a day.
- Do not eat any food during the hour before your dose is due and for one hour after you have taken sodium clodronate. You should also avoid milk (including any drinks containing milk), iron supplements, mineral supplements and indigestion remedies during this two hour period. This is because these prevent the sodium clodronate from working as it should.
- Try to take sodium clodronate at the same times each day to avoid missing any doses.
- If you do forget to take a dose, don't worry, just take the next dose when it is due. Do not take two doses together to make up for a forgotten dose.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Drink plenty of water while you are taking sodium clodronate. You should drink several large glassfuls of water each day.
- If you are having any dental treatment, tell your dentist that you are taking sodium clodronate as some dental treatments are not recommended.
- Keep your regular appointments with your doctor so your progress can be monitored. You will need to have your calcium blood levels checked regularly and also have other tests from time to time.
- If you take or buy any 'over the counter' medicines, check with a pharmacist that they are safe to take with sodium clodronate. Some painkillers, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), should not be taken alongside sodium clodronate.
Can sodium clodronate cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
|Common side-effects - these affect less than 1 in 10 people who take this medicine ||What can I do if I experience this |
|Feeling or being sick ||Stick to simple foods. Let your doctor know about this as you may be advised to try taking half of your dose in the morning and the remaining half in the evening |
|Diarrhoea ||Drink plenty of water to replace any lost fluids. Let your doctor know about this as you may be advised to try taking half of your dose in the morning and the remaining half in the evening |
|Less common side-effects include: skin rash, redness or itching, and difficulties with breathing ||If any of these become troublesome, speak with your doctor |
- If you experience any pain or numbness in your jaw, or any problems with your mouth or teeth, tell your doctor as soon as possible.
- If you experience any thigh, hip, or groin pain, tell your doctor as soon as possible.
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to this medicine, speak with your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store sodium clodronate
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.