Cleocin T Swab
Generic Name: Clindamycin
Examples include Cleocin T and Clindets
Cleocin T Swab is used for:
Treating acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cleocin T Swab is a topical lincomycin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria that cause acne and reducing the amount of free fatty acids that irritate the skin surface.
Do NOT use Cleocin T Swab if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cleocin T Swab or to lincomycin
- you have Crohn disease, antibiotic-associated colitis, or ulcerative colitis
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cleocin T Swab:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cleocin T Swab. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have gastrointestinal (bowel) disease or diarrhea
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cleocin T Swab. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, vecuronium) or succinylcholine because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Cleocin T Swab
- Erythromycin because it may decrease Cleocin T Swab's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cleocin T Swab may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cleocin T Swab:
Use Cleocin T Swab as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cleocin T Swab is for topical use on the skin only.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area.
- Remove the pledget from the jar or foil wrapper just before use. Do not use a pledget from a foil wrapper that has a broken seal. With pledget, gently apply a thin film of medicine. You may use more than 1 pledget if necessary to completely cover the affected area. Wash your hands immediately after using Cleocin T Swab. Throw the pledget away after using.
- Cleocin T Swab works best if it is used at the same time each day.
- Continue to use Cleocin T Swab even if your condition improves. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Cleocin T Swab, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cleocin T Swab.
Important safety information:
- Cleocin T Swab is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes because burning or irritation can occur. If contact occurs with the eyes or sensitive surfaces (eg, scraped skin, mucous membranes), wash the area with cool tap water.
- Cleocin T Swab may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue using Cleocin T Swab for the full time recommended by your doctor.
- Be sure to use Cleocin T Swab for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- If severe diarrhea, stomach pain or cramping, or bloody stools develop during treatment or within several months after treatment with Cleocin T Swab, check with your doctor or pharmacist right away. Do not treat it without first checking with your doctor.
- Cleocin T Swab should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Cleocin T Swab while you are pregnant. It is not known if Cleocin T Swab is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Cleocin T Swab.
Possible side effects of Cleocin T Swab:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dry skin; mild stinging after applying.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood or mucus in stools; diarrhea; stomach pain; swelling, redness, burning, or peeling of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Cleocin T Swab may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Cleocin T Swab:
Store Cleocin T Swab at room temperature, between 68 to 77 degrees F (20 to 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cleocin T Swab out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cleocin T Swab, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cleocin T Swab is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cleocin T Swab. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cleocin T Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Cleocin T Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Clindamycin Topical Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cleocin Vaginal Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Clinda-Derm Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindamax Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindesse Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindesse Consumer Overview
- Evoclin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Evoclin Consumer Overview