- Co-codamol contains both paracetamol and codeine.
- The usual dose for an adult is one or two co-codamol tablets or capsules every 4-6 hours if needed. Do not take more than four doses in 24 hours.
- Do not take other paracetamol preparations while you are taking co-codamol.
|Type of medicine ||Analgesic |
|Used for ||Pain relief |
|Also called ||Codipar®, Paracodol®, Kapake®, Solpadol®, Tylex®, Zapain® |
|Available as ||Capsules, tablets, effervescent tablets |
Co-codamol contains a combination of two painkilling ingredients called paracetamol and codeine. It is used to stop pain. The amount of codeine in the combination determines the strength of the preparation. There are three different strengths of co-codamol available, one of which can be bought without a prescription at pharmacies.
Combination painkillers such as co-codamol may not always offer the best pain control. This is because it is difficult to adjust the dose to suit the level of your pain without increasing the risk of side-effects. Consequently, many doctors prefer not to give combination painkillers, although they can be useful if swallowing a large numbers of tablets in a day is a problem.
Co-codamol is used to relieve short-term painful conditions where paracetamol alone is not sufficient, such as for muscular pain, nerve pain, toothache and period pain.
Before taking co-codamol
Some medicines are not suitable for people with certain conditions and sometimes a medicine may only be used if extra care is taken. For these reasons, before you start taking co-codamol it is important that your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breast-feeding.
- If you have breathing problems, such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- If you have liver, kidney or prostate problems.
- If you have gallbladder disease or gallstones.
- If you drink large amounts of alcohol, or have ever had a problem with drug addiction.
- If you have low blood pressure or heart rhythm problems.
- If you have an inflammatory bowel disorder (such as colitis or Crohn's disease) or a blockage of your bowel.
- If you have a convulsive disorder such as epilepsy.
- If you have adrenal or thyroid gland problems.
- If you have recently had a serious head injury.
- If you have myasthenia gravis (a condition causing muscle weakness).
- If you are taking other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal and complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or to any other medicine.
How to take co-codamol
- Before starting this treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside the pack. The leaflet will give you more information about the specific brand of co-codamol you have been given, and any possible side-effects from taking it.
- Take co-codamol exactly as you have been told. Your doctor or pharmacist will tell you how much to take and when to take it. Your dose will also be on the label of the pack.
- The usual dose for an adult is one or two co-codamol tablets or capsules every 4-6 hours if needed. Remember to leave at least four hours between doses and do not take more than eight tablets or capsules of co-codamol in any 24-hour period.
- If you have been given effervescent tablets, dissolve the tablets in a glass of water before taking.
- You may take co-codamol before or after food.
- If you forget to take a dose, do not worry, just take your next dose when you need pain relief. Do not take two doses together to make up for a forgotten dose.
- Never take more than the prescribed dose. Taking too much co-codamol can cause serious problems. If you suspect that someone has taken an overdose of co-codamol, contact your doctor or go to the accident and emergency department of your local hospital at once. Take the container with you, even if it is empty. This is so the doctor knows what has been taken.
Getting the most from your treatment
- If your pain is not relieved by taking co-codamol, speak with your pharmacist or doctor for further advice.
- If you have bought co-codamol from a pharmacy, do not take it for more than three days. This is because taking a painkiller containing codeine for too long can cause problems. If you are still in pain after these three days, speak with your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
- Do not take any other medicines containing paracetamol while you are taking co-codamol. Many painkillers and cold and flu preparations which can be bought over-the-counter contain paracetamol. Before taking or buying any other medicines, check the label to see whether they contain paracetamol, or ask your pharmacist which are safe for you to take alongside co-codamol.
- Do not to drink alcohol. Co-codamol may cause drowsiness, so taking co-codamol and alcohol together increases the chances of this.
- Taking products containing codeine regularly or for a long time can cause addiction. This might cause you to feel restless and irritable when you then stop taking them. If you are concerned about this, discuss the problem with your doctor or pharmacist.
Can co-codamol cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
|Common co-codamol side-effects ||What can I do if I experience this? |
|Feeling or being sick ||Eat little and often. Stick to simple foods |
|Constipation ||Eat a well-balanced diet and drink plenty of water |
|Feeling sleepy or drowsy ||If this happens, do not drive or use tools or machines. Do not drink alcohol |
|Dry mouth ||Try chewing sugar-free gum or sucking sugar-free sweets |
|Feeling dizzy or light-headed ||Getting up or moving slowly may help |
|Skin rash ||Let your doctor know about this |
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to this medicine, discuss them with your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store co-codamol
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.