- If you are taking co-phenotrope for diarrhoea, you should also take an electrolyte rehydration preparation and drink plenty of fluids.
- Do not take more than 10 tablets in any 24 hour period.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 1-2 days, speak with your doctor.
- Co-phenotrope must not be taken by children under 16 years of age unless prescribed by a doctor.
|Type of medicine ||Antimotility medicine |
|Used for ||Acute diarrhoea |
Regulation of bowel movements following bowel surgery
|Also called ||Diphenoxylate hydrochloride with atropine sulphate |
|Available as ||Tablets |
Co-phenotrope contains two ingredients, diphenoxylate hydrochloride and atropine sulphate. It is used to treat short-term diarrhoea alongside an oral rehydration solution.
Co-phenotrope can also be used to regulate bowel movements following surgery on the intestines.
Co-phenotrope works by slowing down the movement of the bowel so that food remains in the intestine longer and water is more effectively absorbed. This makes the stools less watery.
Before taking co-phenotrope
Before taking co-phenotrope make sure your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you have liver, kidney or prostate problems.
- If you have breathing problems, such as asthma.
- If you have low blood pressure.
- If you have thyroid problems.
- If you have convulsions such as in epilepsy.
- If you have a problem in your bile duct.
- If you have a blocked bowel, or an inflammatory bowel problem such as colitis.
- If you have an adrenal gland problem.
- If you have myasthenia gravis (a muscle weakness disorder).
- If you have recently suffered a serious head injury.
- If you have ever had a problem with drug addiction.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or to any other medicine.
- If you are taking any other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal and complementary medicines.
How to take co-phenotrope
- Before starting this treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside the pack.
- For diarrhoea, take 4 tablets initially, then take a further 2 tablets every six hours. Do not take more than 10 tablets in the first 24 hours, or more than 8 tablets in the following 24 hours.
- Co-phenotrope must not be given to children under 16 years of age unless it is prescribed by a doctor.
Getting the most from your treatment
- If you are using co-phenotrope for diarrhoea, you must also take an electrolyte rehydration solution to prevent you from becoming dehydrated. Ask your pharmacist or doctor to recommend a suitable preparation.
- In addition to taking co-phenotrope, make sure you drink plenty of clear fluids such as water or very diluted squashes. Avoid drinking alcohol or milk. As your diarrhoea begins to improve try eating more solid foods.
- If your symptoms do not improve within a day or two, or if they get worse, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Can co-phenotrope cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. These usually improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following side-effects continue or become troublesome.
|Possible side-effects ||What can I do if I experience this |
|Tiredness, drowsiness, dizziness ||Make sure your reactions are normal before driving or doing any other jobs which could be dangerous if you were not fully alert |
|Headache ||Ask your pharmacist to recommend a suitable painkiller |
|Abdominal discomfort, feeling or being sick ||Eat simple or bland foods - avoid rich or spicy foods |
|Flushing ||Take care not to become over-heated |
|Confusion, restlessness, mood changes, dry mouth and skin, difficulty passing urine, and problems with eyesight ||If any of these become troublesome, speak with your pharmacist or doctor |
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to this medicine, speak with your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store co-phenotrope
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.