Coly-Mycin S Otic
Colistin/Hydrocortisone/Neomycin (koe-LIS-tin/hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone/nee-oh-MYE-sin)Brand Name:
Coly-Mycin S Otic
Coly-Mycin S Otic is used for:
Treating infections of the ear caused by certain bacteria. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Coly-Mycin S Otic is a combination of 2 antibiotics and a corticosteroid. The antibiotics work by killing sensitive bacteria. The corticosteroid reduces inflammation.
Do NOT use Coly-Mycin S Otic if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Coly-Mycin S Otic , to other aminoglycosides (eg, gentamicin), or to other corticosteroids (eg, prednisone)
- you have a viral infection of the ear (eg, herpes simplex, chickenpox, shingles)
- you have a perforated ear drum
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Coly-Mycin S Otic :
Some medical conditions may interact with Coly-Mycin S Otic . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have the blood disease porphyria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Coly-Mycin S Otic . Because little, if any, of Coly-Mycin S Otic is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Coly-Mycin S Otic may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Coly-Mycin S Otic :
Use Coly-Mycin S Otic as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Coly-Mycin S Otic is only for the ear. Do not it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Coly-Mycin S Otic in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool tap water.
- Wash your hands before and after using Coly-Mycin S Otic .
- Wash and dry the outer ear with a sterile cotton applicator.
- Shake well before each use.
- Before using, hold the ear drop container in your hand for 1 or 2 minutes to avoid dizziness that may result from putting cold drops into the ear. Do not heat Coly-Mycin S Otic by any other method because it could decrease its effectiveness.
- Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for several minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Coly-Mycin S Otic for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Coly-Mycin S Otic , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Coly-Mycin S Otic .
Important safety information:
- Coly-Mycin S Otic only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Coly-Mycin S Otic for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Coly-Mycin S Otic may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 10 days without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Coly-Mycin S Otic for other ear conditions at a later time.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Coly-Mycin S Otic before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Coly-Mycin S Otic can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Coly-Mycin S Otic while you are pregnant. It is not known if Coly-Mycin S Otic is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Coly-Mycin S Otic , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Coly-Mycin S Otic :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild, temporary burning or stinging.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; changes in hearing; decreased urination; dry, scaly, or peeling skin at the application site; continued burning or stinging; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; loss of hearing; pain, redness, itching, irritation, or swelling not present when you began using Coly-Mycin S Otic ; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Coly-Mycin S Otic :
Store Coly-Mycin S Otic between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep the container tightly closed. Keep Coly-Mycin S Otic out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Coly-Mycin S Otic , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Coly-Mycin S Otic is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Coly-Mycin S Otic . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.