Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution
Cromolyn (KROE-moe-lin)Brand Name:
Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution is used for:
Preventing bronchial asthma and decreasing the severity of asthma attacks. It is not used to treat sudden asthma attacks. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution is a mast cell stabilizer. It works by stabilizing mast cells and preventing them from releasing their irritating chemicals. Some forms of recurrent or chronic asthma are due to the release of irritating chemicals from mast cells located in the breathing tubes (bronchial tubes of the lung).
Do NOT use Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution. However, no specific interactions with Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution:
Use Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution is for inhalation only.
- This medication should be used in a power-driven nebulizer with an adequate airflow rate equipped with a suitable face mask or mouthpiece. Do not mix with other medicines in the nebulizer.
- Squeeze the contents of the ampule into the solution container in your nebulizer. Once the nebulizer has been assembled and contains cromolyn inhalation solution, hold the mask close to the face and switch on the device. Breathe through the mouth and out through the nose in a normal, relaxed manner. Nebulization should take 5 to 10 minutes.
- Any solution remaining in the nebulizer after treatment needs to be discarded.
- Continue to use Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution.
Important safety information:
- Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution may cause drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution.
- It may take up to 4 weeks for the benefits of this medication to be noticeable.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution.
- Carry an identification card at all times that says you are taking Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution.
- Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor to discuss the benefits and risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bad taste; cough; drowsiness; hoarseness; nausea; sneezing; throat irritation; tightness in the lungs; wheezing.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); breathing problems; severe nasal congestion.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution:
Store at controlled room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not use the solution if it is discolored or contains particles. Store ampules in foil pouch until ready for use. Keep Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cromolyn Nebulizer Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cromolyn Ophthalmic Solution Prescribing Information (FDA)
- cromolyn Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Gastrocrom Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Gastrocrom Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Intal Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Intal inhalation Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Intal Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Intal Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)